Damn You Google...

This mama LOVES Google.  I Google everything from recipes to how many yogurts are too many for me to consume in one day, from the weather to cute shoes I must have, from when is Easter? to how to talk in Spanish, and recently, "Is the cough that Maeberry has just a cold or courp?".  Well, boy oh boy was that last one a MISTAKE!  Here's the deal.  Let's rewind...

Maeberry started with a cold Thursday evening.  No big surprise, it's that time of year.  However, when it went on through the weekend and then only seemed to be getting worse, I started to freak.  Go ahead, roll your eyes... "It's only a cold  - calm yourself...".  Yes, I know.  I tend to freak each and every time Maeberry gets a little sniffle, in part because she really has not been sick much at all in her 20 months of beautiful existence.  Snicker and snare all you want, I am who I am.  Anywho, as I mentioned, the cold (especially cough) was getting worse, so I took my mommy concerns to Google.  I actually remember thinking, as I was typing the letters into the Google box on my trusty iPhone, "Oh why are you doing this? Bad idea, woman! Bad idea!".  In the past I have Googled things and just got me all worried for no real reason.  But, I did it anyway, and before I knew it, I was CONVINCED that she had croup.  With the matching "symptoms" that were listed, I either needed to rush her to the ER or get a doctor on the phone ASAP.  I called her pediatricians office and it was closed.  I was actually jumping for joy because this meant that I got to talk directly to a doctor and not a nurse.  I LOVE nurses, don't get me wrong, but when I read what I read, I wanted nothing but a doctor OR our family friend (who is a nurse) who I have renamed our "Family Doctor" because she always knows what to say, etc (more on this at a later date).  I didn't want to bother our "Family Doctor" this time as I was a hot mess over this, so I just wanted to talk to M's pediatrician.  After what seemed like 3 hours for the on-call doctor to call me back, I had my anxiety replaced by puppies and rainbows.  The pediatrician said "Not to worry!".  She thought that it sounds like a regular cold and cough, but since she had had the cough for almost 5 days now, she should go into the office in the morning for a quick check. 

Into the pediatricians office we went this morning and ALL IS GOOD!  WHOOHOOO!!  Maeberry does in fact have a cold and a lot of mucus in her throat.  Rest, fluids and the usual remedies for a common cold,  and before we know it, no more cough and we can resume our new playgroup schedule.  If I would have stuck to my guns and not checked Google, I could have saved myself from the worry that turns out to just be the side effects of "Mama Google".

In hopes that everyone has happy, healthy and LOVED babies,
Mauranda

xoxo

P.S.
TIME FOR COFFEE!   *Cheers*

2 comments:

  1. Just browsing the wonderful world of bloggers today and read your post. Rest easy that you are not alone in being the victim of Google Diagnosis Hysteria...if we were all honest, everyone would have to say in some way we've been there, done that, too.
    Glad to hear that everything is "normal" as far as colds go. Hope she feels better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Janet! And, glad to hear that I'm not the only one! :)

    ReplyDelete